It’s not just a catchy title, once you’re in the state of stable nutritional ketosis, and have become “keto-adapted” , your body preserves protein and muscle from wasting away, and increases stamina by providing a steady flow of energy for your workouts.
If you’re already someone who goes to the gym and builds lean muscle, you know how you have to constantly make sure you’re consuming enough protein just to fight off the body’s natural tendency to use up and shrink that muscle you’ve built. Normal levels of muscle stability become extremely hard post 40 when your body almost wastes away and becomes weak.
Many people believe that it’s not possible to build muscle without eating carbs…
Wrong! Building muscle on the keto diet is easier!
Ketone bodies produced when you’re in ketosis promote protein systhesis.
In fact the combination of the high protein intake required on the keto diet combined with the actual process of protein sparing which happens during ketosis, will make sure your body doesn’t get rid of muscle mass.
It will actually make you lose fat 2x to 3 x faster
A study conducted on two groups of runners, one group consumed carbs, the other group restricted carbs severely for 6 months. At the end of a run, compared to the tests from the carb eating group, the carb restricted group showed a 2x to 3x level of fat used up during the run
Obese people actually have greater levels of fat oxidation in ketosis, which can give them fast results.
It will not affect strength and performance negatively (quite the opposite!)
as shown in this study
and this video…
Step One: Get into ketosis
Meals should have:
70% fat: (yes I know it sounds scary, it’s not)
Good quality saturated fat from animal fat, butter, ghee, lard, etc. Coconut oil is another great source of saturated fat. But based oils should be minimized or avoided all together. The video below explains it well.
20% protein: 1 gm per pound of your body’s lean muscle weight.
Example: If you weigh 200 pounds, and 30% of that is fat. The remaining 70%, i.e 140 pounds, will count as your lean body weight.
140 pounds lean muscle weight = 140 gm of protein per day
10% carbs : though carbs are not specifically needed, they have a way of sneaking in with different foods, nuts, etc.
Avoid all processed sugars, softdrinks, deserts etc. Don’t worry we have keto-friendly alternatives like this chocolate mouse
You can also Read this brief guide to get into ketosis and stay there within 48 hours.
Step two: Stop doing crunches! Other core exercises are more effective and easier.
Step Three: Find a workout routine that works for you.
The trainers and friends at the gym may say you need to put in an hour of gym time every day, or you need to do 10 exercises every day, or some other stuff.
The point is, if it doesn’t fit your schedule, if it doesn’t work for you, find something that does.
For athletes and those who are looking to build a very good physic, eventually some equipment will be needed and the gym will be a part of their routine…
However, if your just a normal guy or girl, who’s starting out with fitness and exercise, or who doesn’t have the time or energy for hours at a gym, a 15 minute session at home will actually work better for you.